Monday, March 16, 2015

Society's Expectations For Me



     As many know, a stereotype that often arises about men is that they are not smart, or at least not as smart as women. It is safe to assume that these stereotypes rooted from personal experience of a large population. However, is it right to put a label on others due to the experiences one's life?
     Since I've been in middle school, I have noticed that there has been a double standard between men and women when it comes to intellect. There has always been the stereotype, that women are smarter than men. From my perspective as a man, I notice this double standard in school the most. Every time my teacher asked the class what career they are pursuing, the females responded "Lawyer, Doctor, Teacher, Psychologist...", while most males responded with "Fire Fighter, Law Enforcement, Athlete". However the teacher would be puzzled when I told them that I wanted to be an entrepreneur. They tried to cover up their shock with a fake reassuring smile. Whenever I received the highest grade on tests, the teacher would be baffled that I got a higher grade than my fellow classmate, which just so happened to be a female.
     As years passed, I came to realize that it people didn't mean to sound rude but naturally they had lower intellegence for my intellegence. Although it was very difficult to tell whether they were judging me based on gender or race. However that is a topic meant for another day. Indeed, men are naturally more physical than women but does that mean that their intellect has to suffer? At what point does a man's physical discipline tie into is intellectual discipline? And why does that occur?
     In my opinion isn't right to make any assumptions about anyone's intellect. Because someone may not be as educated or have as much common sense, they shouldn't be labeled as being "Slow". They are just filled with different information and they have a different form of intellect than you. Gender is not a category when it comes to intellect. That is the equivalent of the stereotype that women are not athletic. Before you label someone's intellect, always remember "Stupid is as stupid does".

No comments:

Post a Comment